Cookie Calendar: Pizzelles

pizzelles01.jpg

I will declare here upfront: I like anise-flavored pizzelles.

I don't bother making anise pizzelles, as the flavor is far too controversial around here. A number of the adults are avowed anise/licorice haters, and even those who tolerate or enjoy it tend to prejudice the kids against it.

pizzelles02.jpg

While I must disappoint my anise hopes if I want to avoid dirty looks on Christmas, that doesn't mean I have to stick with plain vanilla. This recipe spices things up with the warm flavor of nutmeg. It calls for cardamom, too, but as I didn't have any kicking around, I subbed in cinnamon.

pizzelles03.jpgThe cookies taste creamily sweet with an eggnoggy hit of spice. They're reminiscent of a mild gingerbread.

Cousin D served as cookie helper today. Though she seemed timid with the eggs and the electric mixer, she dived right into the powdered sugar for the Almond Snowballs.

Pizzelles
Source: Better Homes and Gardens
Yield: 18 pizzelles [I had more.]

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom [I used cinnamon.]
3 eggs
3/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup butter, melted and cooled
2 teaspoons vanilla

1. In a medium mixing bowl stir together the flour, baking powder, nutmeg, and cardamom; set aside. In a small mixing bowl beat the eggs with an electric mixer on high speed about 4 minutes or until thick and lemon-colored. Using medium speed, gradually beat in the sugar.

2. Beat in the cooled butter and the vanilla. Add flour mixture; beat on low speed until combined.

3. Heat electric pizzelle iron according to manufacturer's directions. (Or, heat pizzelle iron on range top over medium heat until a drop of water sizzles on the grid. Reduce heat to medium-low.)

4. For each pizzelle, place a slightly rounded tablespoon of batter on pizzelle iron, slightly off-center toward back of grid. Close lid. Bake according to manufacturer's directions. (For a nonelectric iron, bake about 2 minutes or until golden brown, turning once.) Turn pizzelles out onto a paper towel to cool. Repeat with remaining batter.

No comments: